Requesting info about income-sensitive fee payment structures for developing community
From: Rachel McMullin Blair (rachelindelible-images.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,
New to the list and working with a group in the East Bay (SF,CA) which is
currently in a contract negotiation phase for the purchase of land.  We're
also trying to determine how we will pay for expenses, and whether monthly
fees should be determined on an individual, household or other basis.  The
idea has come up about doing it on a sort of "sliding scale" basis, that
would account for the number of full time incomes in a family, debt,
investments, etc, and also the size of home people hope to buy.  The idea is
that this would be more considerate of people's needs and would be an
attempt at not limiting our community to just the more middle-upperclass
folks.

I would appreciate any stories/advice people would be willing to share
about: 1) successfully implemented strategies that address issues of
affordability with the goal of creating an economically diverse cohousing
community
2) any major roadblocks or insights people experienced in considering an
option such as this
3) any other payment structures that have worked really well and seem to
meet the communities needs for ease, also keeping in mind other needs such
as inclusivity, desire for diversity, etc.

WE'RE MEETING MONDAY TO DISCUSS THIS ISSUE, SO I REQUEST ANY INSIGHTS OR
IDEAS BE SENT TO THE LIST ASAP (THIS WEEKEND).

Thanks in advance for your help, and looking forward to being part of the
list.

-Rachel Blair
Richmond, CA, USAour