RE: Refrigerators and Freezers
From: Fleck (foam4uworldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
It definitely depends on your meals system. We have a large commercial refer
approx. 54'w x 30"d x 80" h. w/ a thermometer built into the face bought
new. We monitor the temp for safety. We buy our produce, mostly organic,
once a week in bulk for 4-5 meals/week -30-45 people/meal. Dairy is
purchased more often. Many of our meals are low or no meat. The root veggies
are stored in another  area which stays cool year round but not in the
refer.

We also have a large freezer 30"x 36" x 80" (not new) which would hold a lot
more than it does now. We're not putting up our own fruit or veggies. But
juice, butter, meat, special foods for people with dietary restrictions,
purchased produce, ice cream, ice, etc. go there. We tried a top loader but
it was a huge hassle getting the stuff off the bottom.

The refer is sometimes full to the brim. Individuals are not allowed to
store their own stuff in the fridge.

We have a preset menu Monday-Wed. and Thurs is "Creativity" (= left overs
with dessert). So we're storing food from previous meals for use on Thurs.
We also have a late plate program where folks who can't make dinner can have
a plate put together for them and put in the fridge. Some nights there are
12 late plates!

Hope this helps,
Anne @ Jackson Place - Seattle