RE: Shadowlake Village Resident research project
From: Lisa Poley (lpoleyvt.edu)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 04:18:05 -0800 (PST)
Hi Anna -

Thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate your willingness to act
as a contact person at Takoma. I get the sense from Ann and Sharon that
there might be some serious 'study fatigue' there so I understand if folks
don't feel terribly enthusiastic about this - but I would be very grateful
if you are willing to forward information about the study along regardless.
Who knows - we might get people on a good day!

The survey itself is designed to take about 10 minutes or less to complete
on- line and participants can access the survey via my website anytime
between May 1st and May 22nd.  The questions are almost all multiple choice.
You can check out the website now (with dead links to the survey) at
www.shadowlakevillage.org/cohosurvey. The links will begin to work on May
1st. There is some more information about the study on the website.

As contact person I hope you will do what feels most appropriate in the
context of your community in getting the word out. I would not expect you to
devote more than a total of a few minutes (to an hour at the outside) to the
entire effort.

 I will send you an email on April 30th that can be forwarded to the broader
community with a link to the survey.  If you give me a mailing address, I
will also send 2 flyers and some wallet sized handouts to leave out or
distribute. If you feel comfortable announcing it at a community meeting
that would be wonderful as well. Simply forwarding along the email to the
community is a tremendous help - anything else is icing on the cake!

 My greatest concern is that folks who do not have ready internet access
will be left out of the loop.  If you do have people in your community who
lack internet access but would be willing to participate in the study -
might it be possible to identify a house or other location in the community
where they can get on-line access to take it?  Alternatively I can mail some
paper copies that can be completed by hand (and will include a postage-paid
return envelope).  Please just let me know if this is an issue.

As I mentioned earlier - I know that many cohousers feel studied to death
and have taken a number of surveys already - for which they never see the
results of their input and efforts. As a scholar I am committed to bringing
cohousing more prominently into academic and policy debates about housing,
community development and social change. As a cohouser I am committed to
sharing my results with the broader cohousing community. Once my research is
complete I will develop an article for Communities magazine and/or the Coho
on-line magazine and will provide a link to my dissertation in electronic
form via the national Cohousing website (if they will have me).

Once again thank you so much.

Best regards,

Lisa Poley
lpoley [at] vt.edu