Design considerations (was Re: list of "waypoints" DESIGN comes first.)
From: ken (gebserspeakeasy.net)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 05:16:09 -0700 (PDT)
Lion,

Thanks for bringing up so many good points.  I'm afraid I'm missing some
of them though.

By "containerized housing" do you mean "factory-built", the kind which
are built in a factory and trucked to the site for final assembly?
Being a do-it-yourself but getting on in years to the point where I'm
not sure I could build an entire house myself anymore, I've begun to
consider some evils which might be more pragmatic, like a
"factory-built" home or rehabbing a 19th- or 20th-century building.  Are
you saying that these latter two options are not viable at all?

Also, when you say I "could build it for $30K if your design process was
right", does this mean doing all the labor myself...?  Or would
subcontracting be possible for this price?  Also, what is included in,
meant by, the "right design process"?

An architect I met at East Wind and I hit it off immediately when we
discovered we both had considered using spray concrete on a geodesic
dome frame.  He'd done more research on it than I, but we both
understood it would be a fast way to put up the shell of a building.
The interior could be customized per the desires of the homeowner.  But
"fast" is just one-third of the fast-good-cheap equation (the maxim
being that, given fast, good, and cheap, you'll never get all three).
Any comments on this kind of structure?

Again, I appreciate your comments here.
ken