modular/factory-built cohousing
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:59:58 -0700 (PDT)
A good part of Cambridge Cohousing is also modular construction. I think they were the first cohousing community in North America to use it, but I may be wrong. Don't know where the modules came from. I I saw the 11 unit project that Jan checked out here in Oakland, CA and like her I was quite impressed. The modules for that project were made in, you guessed it, Canada....British Columbia. The developer spoke so highly of the quality of workmanship. Besides, he said that the Canadians were wonderful to work with.

Joani Blank
Swan's Market Cohousing
Oakland, CA

p.s. Two seats become available just this morning for the day-long Northern California Cohousing Bus Tour that will be held this coming Saturday, starting in Oakland, CA. Those seats may have been gobbled up by now, and my ticker tape is a wee bit behind, but if you'd like to see if one or both seats are still available, or get yourself on the waiting list in case anyone else drops out, drop an email to tours [at] cohousing.org or better yet, because of the shortness of the time between now and Saturday, give a call to Neil Planchon who's doing logistics for this tour at 510-465-7241