Re: SPAM filter
From: Rebecca Reid (rreidcohousing.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

  2. Re: SPAM filter on Community's EMail Address? (Marganne)

I found an effective tool for "masking" email addresses on web sites,
which prevents so-called spam spiders from finding and harvesting
addresses. This was for a local nonprofit whose staff email inboxes were
overwhelmed with spam (100+ a day). First, I assumed that their addresses
were already on a lot of spammers' lists, so I gave everyone a new
address. Then I used a bit of Javascript to replace all the mailto:
commands in the HTML on the site. Javascript executes when someone opens
the web page; in this case, it "constructs" the mailto: command and email
address when the user clicks on the link. The script looks like this:
onclick="JavaScript:window.location='mailto:'+'USERNAME'+'@'+'DOMAIN'+'.com'">TEXT</a>
Where
USERNAME is the part of the address before the "@" sign,
DOMAIN is the part just after the "@" sign,
'.com' can of course be replaced by '.org' or '.net' etc., and
TEXT is something like "To email, click here" or something more creative.

When the user clicks on the TEXT hyperlink, it opens an email just like
the mailto: command, but spam spiders can't see the address. The only time
this might not work is if someone is using a very old version of a browser
that doesn't support Javascript, or if their Internet security doesn't
allow Javascript to execute. Then I direct them to a non-hyperlinked
version of the address, such as username [at] domain [dot] com, and ask
them to type in the address into their email program.

Michael Dover, Pioneer Valley

Message: 2