50+ and affordable - Alaska
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:06:18 -0700 (PDT)
To Mary and Joe of Alaska --

That must be the ultimate geographical change in the United States -- moving from Alaska to the lower 48. Is a cohousing project in Anchorage? Might be a good way to try out cohousing before you take the plunge geographically. There are many cohousing projects in British Columbia, the San Juan Islands and the northwest in general. Perhaps a short stay with them is a good start?

Personally, I would like to move to Oregon or Washington because I'm familiar with the weather/people and love the climate. I've never experienced a snowy winter or muggy summer. A few days isn't enough to know if I could adjust year-round.

Because there is just me (and my two cats), I've considered moving and renting in a geographical area long enough to know if I could adjust. A friend of mine told me about the unique characteristics of Ithaca, NY. The more I read about the culture there, the more I wanted to join one of many cohousing projects forming there.

That would be so difficult to do from 3,000 miles away. I just don't see how I could do that without first knowing if I could handle the climate. So, for me, climate is a big consideration, but ultimately not more important than connecting with cohousing people to form a supportive community. I may also be kidding myself about being able to uproot and live somewhere far away without a partner or without knowing some people at my destination.

Finding a rental within an existing project (or nearby) is another short-term option -- finding a rental somewhere you think might be liveable. It would get you 'down' here and closer to experiencing real cohousing living. A series of small changes might be easier than a giant leap.

I've also done a lot of research on a variety of geographical areas. It's made me be more clear about what is important to me - like remoteness. Knowing I was moving into a 'community' rather than an 'area' would help.

Wish I knew an easier way to attempt such a big geographical move. Perhaps someone else here has some suggestions.

Cheers!
Marganne