Re: 50+ and affordable
From: Alexander Robin A (alexande.robiuwlax.edu)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:17:35 -0700 (PDT)
Now to answer my own post :) Would seem that cohousing is a very promising
approach to senior living, especially when compared to the alternatives. In
Madison, WI where I live, any kind of assisted living facility seems to be
priced out of reach for any but the wealthy. For many elderly with modest
savings and income the path is often to move to assisted living until all
resources are used up and then move into a nursing home that accepts the state
assistance program (which does not cover assisted living but only the more
expensive nursing home which makes no sense to me but what do I know). A
depressing prospect for folks who have worked hard their whole lives and then
are forced into destitution and dependency.

Robin Alexander