Re: interest in developing a group for 50+ .....
From: VAN DEIST (vandeistmsn.com)
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:33:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Ya'll - In Venice, FL we have a "potential cohousers" group that is helping
to develop a cottage community consisting of a cluster of 13, 2 BR, 2 BA, 1400
ft2, Cracker style, wheelchair accessible, "islandy" cottages plus a common
house.  Our group started out as an elder cohousing group but has evolved into
"elder rich," because of concerns about flexibility for cohabitation with
younger offspring and even the outside chance of having to assume
responsibility for a grandchild.  We hope to encourage those might be
compatible yet under 50 y/o to join us.  We will remain an elder rich community
and not truly intergenerational, because we will encourage "Aging in Community"
issues which should primarily attract empty-nesters of all persuasions.  Our
group, so far, consists of 30 couples and individuals in their 60's & 70's
(with the 70's in the majority among the 10 members who met regularly face to
face).  We've tried to keep in touch with those "out-of-towners" and
"out-of-staters" who have expressed interest. We all seem to be decent, nice
people who are willing to be good neighbors and are open to sharing one
another's life experiences in community.  We're not of any one religion or
political slant, and while we will attempt to incorporate some "green" into our
project, no bona fide, tree hugger has as yet to stand up an be counted.  There
certainly is considerable room for individual expression, but we're looking for
those who value compassion; practice tolerance; work on being forgiving; and
seek pleasure in events great and small.  One would also need to commit to
decision-making by consensus.  Other than that, it's just the same ole "do unto
others etc."  We encourage co-ownership and house-sharing for improved
affordability.  Our current "guesstimate" is that a standard, one story cottage
would cost 210K on a 60K lot plus a 30K interest in the association's common
area and common house.  We are still short of setting up our LLC (which might
try to self-fund the site development in a joint venture with the land owner).
No one has committed to anything as yet other than a desire to discover and
better understand cohousing.  We have a single source for
construction/permanent financing, and we have a good lead on a source of
commercial financing for the common house and common area.  We close to having
the site under contract.  We have much of the building design completed;
engineering and site design is underway; and we have a very reputable
contractor committed.  If this can be what you seek, contact me.  vandeist [at]
msn.com<mailto:vandeist [at] msn.com>     Be well,     .....Van.....