Re: Truly affordable cohousing
From: Brian Bartholomew (bbstat.ufl.edu)
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:42:46 -0700 (PDT)
> A member of one of those projects asked me what I considered
> affordable. I said $150,000. He laughed and suggested I find a
> shipping crate to live in. (See links at end of this post.)

Exactly.  I was the container enthusiast in my former group.  You are
prohibited from living affordably by zoning, both from without your
coho and within; not by the costs of constructing a house structure.

I expect the current US financial problems in progress will reduce the
enforceability of such zoning, and then you and I will be allowed to
construct economical, green, heavily recycled houses.

Also, I think your prices are high.  A while back I found a company in
California doing single-container conversions for, $35K was it?

                                                        Brian