Re: Truly affordable cohousing
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
At 4:35 PM -0600 5/12/08, balaji [at] ouraynet.com wrote:
Our hope is to recruit
more members this year, and then purchase land and start development the
following.  That is ambitious, we know, but we are a society of optimists!

Nothing wrong with being an optimist! :-)

Your web site is very clear and well done. It will attract people who aren't as concerned about price as they are about your stated goals.

Since finances dictate my circumstances, a community that would attract me is one where affordability is a stated goal. People who have very little income need to know how strongly the community feels about sticking to a price a low income person can afford.

I'd guess the time when many projects lose members is when unexpected costs arise. Low income people don't have the flexibility to absorb additional expenses. When affordability is a priority, if there are unexpected expenses, the cost of the project must be reduced elsewhere to keep it viable.

--
Cheers!
Marganne

Small House Society