Re: Low cost housing
From: David Heimann (heimanntheworld.com)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 21:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Matt,

Actually, self-developing a cohousing project is very much different than building it ourselves. We at Jamaica Plain Cohousing self-developed our project, but had a general contractor build it and a professional (Chris ScottHanson) in charge of a myriad of details. Instead of plumbing, carpentry, electrical, structural, and other such skills, our necessary skills, sometimes hard-learned, were fund-raising, accounting, treasury, loan acquisition and administration, programming and designing, permitting, political organizing, legal documents, marketing, community building, conflict resolution, and others I'm probably missing at the moment. A definitely different set of skills!

Regards,
David Heimann
JP Cohousing