Re: Variations on low cost housing
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 12:07:00 -0700 (PDT)
At 8:07 AM -0400 5/19/08, Ann Zabaldo wrote:
I don't think "building small" is the issue.  Is it not more an issue
or issues of other expectations?   "Small" plus a lot of land plus all
high tech amenities plus being in a really good, high-end neighborhood
if for no other reason than the good schools and  libraries high-end
neighborhoods have?

I'd agree a majority of people entering cohousing have good reasons to want to live in or near an urban area. Not everyone who wants a sense of community has children's education or city-tied jobs to consider.

Perhaps we need to agree on clearer definitions for words like urban, suburban and rural. Or perhaps I'm the one that needs the clarification.

I'm part of a growing portion of the population who have already raised families, have retired, or have become disabled because science has found many ways to prolong life. Aren't Baby Boomers the quickest growing portion of the population now?

If 'building small' isn't the issue, I'd like know more about the other issues. Am I missing something important that makes creation of low cost housing in suburban, rural or fringe areas only for people who can afford $300,000+? (I am a California native, so I'm able to miss a lot of things!) ;-)

I have a gut resistance to the idea that low cost equals shared walls and high density. I also realize my level of knowledge about construction and building pales in comparison to many people on this list. Which is why I'm here asking more questions. :-)

Shared walls to save money seems logical. So why can't shared-wall homes be made for less than $100,000 per? If you spend 20-40K for a kit house or modular home to be placed on a 50K lot that already has water and sewer, what are the extra costs that take it to beyond affordable?

(I'm really not trying to pick a fight here... REALLY. I'm trying to find a way for people like myself to gain the advantages of living in community...or understand the reason why we can't.)

Cheers!
Marganne
(Running away and ducking down)