Zillions of cohousing communities
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 12:13:52 -0700 (PDT)
At 10:21 PM -0400 5/19/08, Ann Zabaldo wrote:
I think you're pointing to something really important that my former
housemate, Tina, used to interject and still does interject when I'm
wound up in my vision of creating cohousing communities by the
zillions.  She says:  if you put just 25% of the effort into the
community around you that you live in NOW that  you are using to
create a whole new community you might be surprised at the outcome.

I must be bitten by the same bug.

I don't 'see dead people'.

I see 'cohousing communities'. LOL

Last night I read a city planning report describing what this study group would like to see develop to increase the sense of community and provide a mix of low cost and middle class housing. They want to stay away from low cost 'projects' to try and discourage crime and decay, but need to create low cost housing for seniors and others in combination with transit and commercial buildings for shopping and services.

Has a cohousing project ever been built in a somewhat blighted area? Has it had any effect on the surrounding neighborhood? Would a 'zillion' communities of various sizes and values judiciously grouped in one area be another way to create what some city planning groups say they want to do?

Is cohousing the answer to ALL the mysteries of life??? [wink, grin]

Cheers!
Marganne