Re: Variations on low cost housing
From: John Beutler (jabeutlercomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 15:20:36 -0700 (PDT)
Most of the rentals in our community (Liberty Village, Maryland) are units carved out of the pre-existing larger unit. So we have a couple of basement units and a second-floor rental unit that were unfinished space when originally built. One other one is split vertically which is certainly different - it's actually for rent right now.

Cheers

JAB

 At 01:49 PM 5/23/2008 -0700, you wrote:

At 9:57 AM -0600 5/22/08, Tim Mensch wrote:
>There's also the logistical challenge of getting a community to agree to
>put up the money to buy the place, which to me seems very unlikely to
>happen unless the buyer is truly and obviously a bad fit--obvious enough
>to achieve consensus among the folks that will end up having to pay to
>buy the house.

If there's a rental or two or more in a typical (whatever that is)
cohousing project, are they usually owned by the community or are
they extra units a member had built in anticipation of renting? Or
something else. If it is the latter, isn't this another example of
getting a renter who isn't necessarily tied to the mission and goals
of the community?

If owned by the community, how to fair housing laws affect the
selection of someone to rent a unit? For that matter, what if a
member of the community decides to move out and turn her/his unit
into a rental?

Cheers!
Marganne