Re: Cohousing and ownership
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 17:32:27 -0700 (PDT)
R.N. Johnson <cohoranda [at] yahoo.com>
(digest repost)

In Denmark, there is at leat one 80 unit low income housing project which is
subdivided into 4 smaller cohousing communities. If it was possible to get
substancial government support for decent low cost housing we could do something
like that here. Zoning and funding restrictions in the US tend to push low cost
housing development into the kind of isolated substandard projects that you see
in big cities all over the US. Some of the more successful low income housing
developments I've seen are mid way between a co-op and cohousing; residents work
together on maintenance and have some social events together.  They were set up
that way for the very practical reason that vandalism and maintenance costs are
much lower.
  Randa Johnson
  cohoranda [at] yahoo.com