Newspaper supports building smaller homes
From: Marganne (margannemacnexus.org)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:07:32 -0700 (PDT)
Here's a little follow-up to the recent discussion about building cohousing projects with lower costs.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/126/story/415966.html

The Idaho Statesman published an editorial Sunday supporting a developer's request to include smaller-sized homes in a new Kuna, ID subdivision. The developer's request to build homes less than the 1,400-square-feet required minimum size was turned down last week.

Maybe this is a developer who could be approached to brainstorm about building Low Cost Community Housing?

Several customers recently told the developer they wanted homes in his subdivision, but didn't need 1,400 square feet. The developer focused on 1,250 square feet which 'wouldn't detract from the values of nearby, larger homes'. "One hundred and fifty square feet less than somebody else isn't going to ruin a subdivision."

The planning commissioner said, "The city should protect a neighborhood's integrity. Very few investments in our lifetime are more important than our house."

When I signed the development agreement (minimum 1,400 sq ft), we were at $2-a-gallon gas, the developer said. Green, energy-efficient homes that are what you can truly afford - that's the marketplace right now.

The newspaper urged the planning department to work with developers and builders to educate residents that with good design, construction and maintenance, even a small house can look great and uphold neighborhood property values.
--
Cheers!
Marganne