Re: What is diversity really? [Was What is co-housing really?]
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizverizon.net)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
Here is the problem. The way u.s. society has developed we live, and travel in circles, that are divided, not by uncommon values or uncommon personalities, but by race, ethnicity, disability, economics, education level, family style, sexual orientaiton, etc.

I believe that people who are a different color, heritage, disabled state, etc from me aren't actually necessarily people with different values than me.

So when I say I want diversity, I mean that I want to actually go out and recruit people who may APPEAR to be different than me, and in fact, do have different culture traditions than me, but, when we look closer, turn out to have very similar values to me.

That is, I want to break the artificial lines that separate us in our living situations, and look instead for the real lines of commonality, and live together with people on that basis. So, for my group, where our uniting value is "want to intentionally create community" I want to make a real effort to look outside my own white, middle-class, queer, christian, circles, apparently able- bodied circles where I normally travel and find people who have that same value, but might not be white, middle-class, queer, christian or apparently able-bodied.

This is, in fact, the stereotype of white middle class liberals. I personally fit that stereotype and I'm proud of it.

Doesn't mean we've succeeded on meeting our value of "honoring diversity". In fact we've done very well in the categories of religion and relative queerness. We've done better than some in the area of economic diversity. We've done extremely well in terms of able-bodied-ness, especially in the categories of chemical sensitivies, asthma, and having visitable homes, not so well in other areas, especially race, or education level, or ability to speak geek.

What is diversity, really? In today's parlance I think it is about assuming that the lines between us that society has drawn are incorrect, and looking to cross those lines as best we can, as we search to create a community of people who have similar values, but not similar external indicators of those values.

-Liz
(The Rev.) Elizabeth M. Magill
PastorLiz [at] verizon.net
Worcester Fellowship