Howe school
From: James Kacki (jimkackimymts.net)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 09:42:03 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Fred,
Re feasibility comments requested
I'm an architect in Manitoba. The only feasibility comment I can make based on the photo is this: Make sure the people wanting to renovate it as cohousing check with the local Permit officials regarding the "limiting distance" calculations in the Building Code before going too far. I'm going by the Canadian code, but I'm sure the U.S. Codes would have similar requirements. The "limiting distance" requirements are to prevent the spread of fire between buildings or between different parts of the same building, through windows and other openings. The Howe school is 'U' shaped, meaning windows on the inside face of the 'U' are facing each other. The "limiting distance" calculations limit the amount of unprotected openings (e.g. windows) based on the distance apart of exterior walls and angle between exterior walls. So not only the walls facing each other, but even walls at 90 degrees to each other (eg the base of the 'U' and the wings of the 'U') can have limits placed on the amount of glass allowed. It's a pain in the butt, but is a factor to be checked in the feasibility of turning this building into cohousing.
All the best, -glad the tornado missed you!
James