Re: Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"
From: R.N. Johnson (cohorandayahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 13:47:00 -0700 (PDT)

 We have a voting fallback in place, which is intended to allow the community
to move forward if the issue is important enough.  When we first moved in some
worried that this would quickly  disintegrate into majority rule. In practice
it has served as an encouragement to block carefully; too many blocks from the
same person and  community members, normally hesitant to move ahead when there
are objections, are willing to move to a vote. Most of the time, we keep
talking. Sometimes we change the proposal, or the person decides to stand aside
because their objection does not rise to the level of a real threat to the
community and it is something they can "live with", sometimes we shelve the
proposal.  I think it would have been "cleaner" from a consensus point of view,
to adopt a lifetime cap on blocks.  The effect is similar, but instead of the
community "overriding" the dissenter, the frequent dissenter chooses to use up
their lifetime supply of
 blocks
Randa Johnson
New Brighton Cohousing