Re: Consensus, Majority Vote, "Blocks"
From: Racheli Gai (rachelisonoracohousing.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 07:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
For the majority to coerce an individual is not a good thing.  But with
consensus mis-used (which is often the case, and IMO has been
the case in our community on many occasions) - you end up with a small minority
coercing everyone else (either through the use of
blocking, or by fighting wars of attrition - where others give in eventually
out of exhaustion, etc.)  This isn't any better.  It's actually worse,
because there is such a gap between what the process is "supposed to be", and
how it manifests  on the ground.

I think that if the same person finds her/himself at a point of blocking too
many times - it means that there is some basic incompatibility
at the level of shared values, and/or on the level of perception what's in the
best interest of the community.  This means that they need
to ask themselves serious questions regarding whether they actually belong in
that particular group.

Racheli
Sonora Cohousing, Tucson.