Kailash Ecovillage rental, apartments, affordable
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 06:26:36 -0800 (PST)
I just happened by the Kailash Ecovillage web site. Interesting.
They'd been mentioned on cohousing-L a few times but I had not
appreciated the significance of this interesting sounding community.
Rental, mostly apartments, affordable and maybe younger than many
of us. It is not clear if they consider themselves to be cohousing.

In  25 May 2011 message about a Portland, Oregon Cohousing tour
it was implied that Kailish is cohousing or very close.
http://lists.cohousing.org/pipermail/cohousing-l/msg32982.html

I could not find them listed in the Cohousing Directory
( http://directory.cohousing.org/ )

Here is what they say about themselves ( http://kailashecovillage.com )

  Kailash Ecovillage is a 32-unit apartment complex located on a two
  acre urban site in the inner SE part of Portland, Oregon. The units
  consist of 30 one-bedroom apartments, each with their own separate
  storage spaces, a men's and women's dormitory, shared laundry and mail
  room, recycling and composting areas, and garden room. Additionally, a
  community room has been remodeled that offers space for community
  gatherings including potlucks and informational meetings. The
  community room is also available to the greater community for
  meetings. There is also an adjacent meditation room that doubles as a
  guest room. It is available to residents' guests and is also used by
  the greater community for regular meditation events. Residents and
  neighbors interested in gardening can take advantage of the on site
  community garden.

  Unlike many cohousing communities, Kailash Ecovillage uses a rental
  model. This allows individuals with lower income and those without
  prior housing ownership to participate in a sustainable community. As
  not all residents are able to afford their own private unit, we now
  offer hostel style dormitory accommodation. We have both a 6 bed men's
  and 4 bed women's dormitories. (There is a minimum six month stay
  required.)

There is currently a room for rent in a newly renovated
Passive House that is part of the community.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/roo/4186620544.html

One of the mentions of Kailash on Cohousing-L:
Request names of 3-story cohousing communities
http://lists.cohousing.org/pipermail/cohousing-l/msg33996.html

Fred