Re: Shared community internet service
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 06:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
On Apr 2, 2014, at 3:24 PM, Alan Goldblatt <alanbgoldblatt [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> Cable service is also a possibility, but the bandwidth is slower than what
> we currently have.

Our two modems come from 2 cable companies. If you are only getting 12 when you
are supposed to be getting 24, then the modem is probably more accurate.
Initially we had DSL from an internet company but we never got what we paid
for. Repeated discussions revealed that they couldn't provide more because the
wiring in the area was too outdated. It was the wiring, not them.

When we discovered that we could legally use modems connected to everyone, we
switched and for a long time had ONE modem with residential service. it worked
until people started streaming movies and playing games online. Then we got two
and business service. Larger bandwidth. And as I mentioned, much faster
service. Even a different phone number to call for service.

Business service, I think, is only a question of paying for it--no other
requirements. Offices have one service that goes to multiple offices, even to a
whole building so the set up is normal for the cable companies.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire
to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White