Retrofit Cohousing Panel for National Conference in NC
From: abigail weinberg (withhashemyahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 20:23:15 -0800 (PST)
My Name is Abby Weinberg and I am working on retrofitting a church into 20
cohousing condos in Philadelphia for Wissahickon Village Cohousing (WVC).  I am
very new to this game and hardly an expert, but would be happy to offer my
experience to the greater good at the conference.  I really look forward to
meeting many of you at the conference!

Also, the model my group is using is a bit different that how I understand
traditional cohousing development to go.  We are working with a developer who
was planning to retrofit a church into condos before he ever met us.  We think
that the developer decided to contact us because the church has a pre-existing
industrial kitchen and "cafetorium" on the lower level which he recognized
might be good for cohousing.  Since the church is in an excellent location AND
because the developer was going to assume all of the financial risk of
development, our group decided to try and work with him.  We have been meeting
for over a year with him and he just got zoning approval and will be closing on
the purchase of the church next week.  He has a agreed to let our group have
exclusive right of sale (i.e. - try to sell all units to cohousing-minded
people) for 6 months *IF* we buy 7 units in the first 30 days of sales.

The Pros include: We only put in money when we buy our units and we have a real
developer doing all the hard development work that we don't really have to pay
until we purchase a unit.

The Cons include: We give up a lot of control - especially over design...
Although he has been very receptive and generous with his time, the developer
is clear that whatever he builds needs to be marketable beyond the cohousing
market in case we can't sell all the units and he needs to see the remaining
units to "civilians."

There is more to the story, but hopefully you get the idea. I am curious to
know whether this is as novel a way of doing cohousing as I think it is, or if
other communities got built this way.

Appreciatively,
Abby

Abigail Weinberg
Community Coordinator,
Wissahickon Village Cohousing
Home: 215-842-0268  Cell: 734-474-6958
abbyweinberg [at] alum.barnard.edu

Cohousing: Building a better society, one house at a time!

Message: 1