Re: peer to peer lending club for Cohousing?
From: John Sechrest (sechrestgmail.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 09:48:07 -0700 (PDT)
It is an interesting idea.

One thought that I had was more focused on the Community Sourced Capital
idea.
https://www.communitysourcedcapital.com/

But they have a limit on amount of funds collected and have a business
model aimed at cashflow businesses.

It seems like it should be possible to set up financial mechanisms where
people interested in cohousing in a broader sense help diversify their
investments by investing in a broader range of other cohousing places.

A cohousing savings and loan or a cohousing credit union does not seem that
far out of place. The big question would be the commitment of people to
engage in building the engine.

We have local credit unions and banks that think that they are in this
business. I wonder if it is a matter of having a deeper relationship with
them.

Every time this conversation comes up on the list, the National Coop Bank
conversation should be part of the conversation. They seem to be working on
a national level to try to get into this market:

http://www.cohousing.org/finance-affordable

However, it does not take a bank or a credit union to do this. It is
possible to organize other mechanisms.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 5:04 AM, S. Kashdan <s_kashdan [at] hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is Sylvie Kashdan of Jackson Place Cohousing in Seattle, Washington.
>
> I am wondering if there is any current news of people working on developing
> some sort of peer to peer lending or other kind of financing organization
> specifically devoted to cohousing?
>
> I recently read two articles in Consumer Reports on the topic of peer to
> peer
> lending and investing, and it seemed to me that it might be something worth
> thinking about for cohousing financing, if there were some people with
> banking knowledge and abilities who could organize it. What do others
> think?
>
> What you need to know about Lending Club and Prosper
> These new meeting places for borrowers and investors are giving traditional
> banks a run for their money
> This article appeared in the February 2015 issue of Consumer Reports
> magazine.
>
> and
>
> Investing in Lending Club and Prosper
> Peer-to-peer lending can boost your income
> This article appeared in the August 2014 issue of Consumer Reports Money
> Adviser.
>

> Cohousingly,
> Sylvie
>
> Sylvie Kashdan
> Community Outreach Liaison
> Jackson Place Cohousing
> 800 Hiawatha Place South
> Seattle, WA 98144
> www.seattlecohousing.org
> info [at] jacksonplacecohousing.org

John Sechrest      .  Need to schedule a meeting :
http://sechrest.youcanbookme.com
                                   .
                                        .
                                                .