Re: Deep Aging (TM); And a Totally Different Subject
From: Fred-List manager (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 04:28:11 -0800 (PST)
Arthur Rashap <arthur.rashap [at] gmail.com>
after restoring subject line.

restore subject line when replying.

Re: Aging dialogue and co-housing

From: Arthur Rashap

 The current discussion relating to how co-housing in its continued
development that relates to design, operation, relationships, financing,
obligations and interactions (among other aspects) is involved with looking
at the benefits to other residents *from* and those benefits *to* the older
people (elders, sages, seniors, geezers) who also reside there.

I have had some 15 years now looking at the overall issue, working at an
Area Agency for the Aging (in Charlottesville, VA); undertaking a
several-year study and trial working projects under a grant from the
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, then working with several years to
develop a pilot project with Dr. William (Bill) Thomas, the developer and
spirit of the Eden Alternative and Greenhouses; co-founder of Eldershire;
and serving as a consultant to several development projects looking at how
to best create inter-generational communities that would facilitate these
folk aging in place, outside of the long-term care network. I have applied
to speak at the May conference in SLC and hope to be accepted and see many
of you there.

One of the guideposts and measurement tools we developed related to
Well-Being. Here it is:

*Well-Being: *A definition of the components of well-being was developed by
a team* of people involved with looking at answering the question: *What
makes life worth living and how do we measure it?* The components involve
ways to measure oneʼs state of well-being as the ultimate goal of a life
worth living. The task force defined the outcome of the person-directed
model as WELL-BEING, that is the well-being of each individual, of their
families and friends, of other members of the immediate community, and of
the greater community. What then is well-being? It is the path to a life
worth living. It is what we all desire. It is the ultimate outcome of human
life. There are eight primary domains of well-being: *contribution*; *identity;
growth; autonomy; security; connectedness; meaning; and joy*.

*Contribution: the *need to feel that one makes a difference, that one has
a contribution that will be valued. Everyone has the ability to contribute,
what they can contribute may vary greatly.

*Identity: *being well-known; having personhood; individuality; wholeness;
having a history. Oneʼs own history, life and feelings of self are
essential components of well-being. Without this, one ceases to exist.

*Growth: *development; enrichment; unfolding; expanding; evolving. Each
individual has every opportunity to learn and grow.

*Autonomy:* liberty; self-governance; self-determination; immunity from the
arbitrary exercise of authority; choice; freedom. Simply put, to be
autonomous is to be oneʼs own person, to be respected for oneʼs ability to
decide for oneʼs self, to be in control of oneʼs life, absorbing the costs
and benefits of oneʼs own choices.

*Security:  *freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear. To be safe, certain,
assured, have privacy, dignity, and respect. The security of home and
family, freedom from fear and anxiety must be satisfied before we can grow
toward self-actualization.

*Connectedness: *alive; belonging; engaged; involved; not detached;
connected to the past, present, and future; connected to personal
possessions; connected to the place; connected to nature.

*Meaning: *significance; heart; hope; import; value; purpose; reflection;
sacred. The search for meaning is the primary human motivation. An ideal
environment infuses meaning into every corner, every act, and every
relationship. In that meaning, all find life worth living.

*Joy: *happiness; pleasure; delight; contentment; enjoyment. Joy is a
short, simple word describing the highest possibility of human life. Joy is
a condition of human spirit that so fills a being that no amount of
unhappiness can cast it out.

* Team members and their roles at the time of this work were lead by *Nancy
Fox*, Executive Director, The Eden Alternative and *Arthur Rashap*, J.D.,
LLM., Eldershire Development Company, Ltd. Other members included: *LaVrene
Norton*, MSW, Executive Leader, Action Pact; *Sandy *Ransom, RN, MSHP,
Director, Long Term Care Institute. Texas State University; *Vivian
Tellis-Nayak,* Ph.D., My Innerview; *Dawn Brostsoki, *Beverly
Enterprises; *Mary
Tellis-Nayak, *RN, Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation
Facilities; *Joseph Angelelli, *Ph.D., Pioneer Network; *Suellen Beatty, *BAN,
MSN, Chief Executive Officer, Sherbrooke Community and Region XVII Eden
Coordinator (Western Canada); *Leslie A. Grant, *Ph.D., Associate Professor
and Director, Center for Aging Services, University of Minnesota; *Susan
Dean*, MSW, The Eden Alternative; *William H. Thomas*, M.D., The Eden
Alternative.

 I also suggest those interested read the following article, particularly
the part relating to living in community:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-make-the-most-of-longer-lives-1432743631

Arthur W. Rashap
Home phone: (434) 995-5020
Cell # (434) 218-8927
arthur.rashap [at] gmail.com
1719B Galloway Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22901

"This is why we have come: to paint eternity's vision on a canvas of
moments and days," Ken Carey.  The Starseed Transmissions (1982)