Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 05:48:33 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 12, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Liz Ryan Cole <lizryancole [at] me.com> wrote:
>
> One hope I have had is that once cohousing neighborhoods are built and
> occupied, that the uncertainly will be less, and people moving in may be more
> diverse than the original founders.  Has anyone looked at that - if in fact
> we even have enough established cohousing development to generate meaningful
> data.

Yes. Rob Sandelin, years ago, said communities become more homogeneous. He was
one of the first cohousing facilitators/consultants. No numbers; his experience.

And it makes sense. Friends and friends of friends move in. Relatives of people
who live in cohousing in another state.

How many people say to themselves, I want to go live in a diverse community in
which I am the diversity. "This ________ community needs me because they have
no ethnic diversity. I will be the diversity.”

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
"Grandparents are the consistency, security, and tradition in a child’s life."
Nancy Fuller, Farmhouse Rules