Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab (Liz Ryan Cole)
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 08:57:29 -0700 (PDT)
stay tuned. there is a group of 40 people who attended crystal farmer's round
table discussion about racial diversity in cohousing.
as a group, we've been tossing around some ideas about how cohousing can be one
means of bridging cultural divides and how to organize around this on regional
and national levels.
the question that cohousers of privilege must ask themselves if they are truly
committed intellectually and emotionally to racial diversity is, "what am i
willing to give up so that my community can be more attractive to racially
diverse neighbors?"

as liz and crystal say, becoming culturally competent is not a short term
process, it takes time and personal angst, losing friends over it, gaining
better friends because of it.
this is less a mission for the owls and owms who have brought society a long
way since 1865. the group with the greatest chance to evolve
cohousing/intentional community living into an inclusive way to bring people
together are millennials and younger.
Alan O'Hashi - ECOS
EnviroCultural Organization Systems
 http://www.alanohashi.com/ecos