Re: Cohousing's Diversity Problem - CityLab
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 09:25:19 -0700 (PDT)
> On Aug 12, 2017, at 10:21 AM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:

> But we certainly won't attract racial diversity if to live here is to
> live with people who defend our racial self-segregation in that way.

Analyzing is not the same as defending. Do we have a good definition of “racial
diversity” and what it would bring us? With genetic testing, it is becoming
apparent that skin color doesn’t ‘prove’ racial composition. So what is race?

I don’t understand the ?why" of this emphasis on black skin. And I have a black
son and two black grandchildren. They are in color brown but given how race is
defined legally they are black.

The diversity my son would bring is that he is a police detective and neither
he nor his wife went to college. He would be miserable here. He would think we
were all stupid liberals. That’s the part of him that has brought great
diversity to our family. And I’m not sure it was a good idea for him to be in a
diverse family. Just sharing that to show what experience I’m basing my
arguments on.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines