Re: Copyeditor Needed for Coho Website
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2017 06:24:34 -0700 (PDT)
Dick,  Thanks for the clarification.  Good points. Maybe not so much
"counter arguments" as situational counter examples.  The folks
who express thanks may be more likely to write so I am less aware of
those who resented my correction email.  I've never compared the
number of thanks to the number of correction emails sent...

> resent being corrected ... what constitutes "correct grammar."

I generally only write about things that are pretty clearly errors and
seldom grammar related. This also serves a triage function and limits
the number of emails - I sure dont spend my life at this but there are
enough things that are clearly errors.  I am quite selective about
sites I will write to about (mostly) typos. I correct Wikipedia errors.
I rarely if ever respond to errors on Google even tho they solicit
corrections.  In addition my messages also typically
describe what I see and use some "weasel words" to speculate on
what was intended.  This hopefully reduces the resentment.

Sites with maintainers that appreciate corrections could say this on
their contact page (along with giving an address to send corrections to).

I decided to look for an example in my sent mail. Based on subject
lines it appears I have sent about 10 messages per year with "typo" in
the subject line and 12 per year with "broken link".  Here is the next
to the last "typo" message from April 2017.  Note the typos in the email :)

>Hi John,
>
>BEcca and I were looking at your web site and came across what loks
>like a typo:
>
>On <URL of architect's web page>
>"became a quite sitting / living"  probably meant "quiet"

It would be nice if non-profits had the resources to pay for every
thing that needs to be done.

PS thanks for your "Re: Including interested people in the process"
response too.  I may get around to responding to that thread later
when time permits.

FRed  who tries to put more effort to proofreading when I expect it
 will be read by more people.  Cohousing-L has over 1000 subscribers...
 But then there is that time constraint. Also errors that affect
 meaning are most important to correct.  We do what we can.

--
Bassett Creek Cohousing, Minneapolis  http://mn.cohousing.org/bcrk/