Re: Common Space more or less
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 06:53:48 -0700 (PDT)
Jack and Carolyn - I live in a senior coho community. I'd say the biggest thing
when you're starting out is to be futurists and imagine how you and your
community will be after 10 years or 20 years.
The 50 year olds today will be 60 and 70 year olds will be 80. You get the
picture. What is a simple maintenance task like changing lightbulbs or washing
the windows, or dusting or watering the plants when you're 50 will look a lot
different when your 70 or 80.
Are your individual houses designed with large living rooms, dens and kitchens?
If so, the propensity to use the common house is much lower. If your homes are
designed as a place to sleep, then that sort of design will encourage residents
to use the common house more. That helps determine how much to "trick out" the
common house with a larger more versatile kitchen; larger more versatile tv
room/library; guest quarters; arts and craft area; fitness / meditation area;
larger more versatile living and dining areas.
In an intentional senior community, replenishing the occupants will be with
more oldsters, rather than youngsters. "Oh, we'll attract the young ones," is
easier said than done when prospective buyers come and see misplaced reading
glasses all over the common house.
In hindsight, I say, keep your common house simple, simple, simple. Where I
live, we are very entrepreneurial and rent out the otherwise under-utilized
common house to reduce the high operation and maintenance costs.ThanksAlan O.
Alan O'Hashi - ECOS
EnviroCultural Organization Systems
 http://www.alanohashi.com/ecos
Colorado 303-910-5782