Sharp Elbows, Re: Takoma Village Has a New Face Book Page!
From: John Richmond (johnrichmond50hotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:40:50 -0700 (PDT)
FWIW, I agree with Tricia about this list. A few years ago I posed a naive
question to this forum and got several responses that were among the most
insulting I've experienced outside of my trips to Breitbart.

I'm still in a forming cohousing group, though becoming increasingly
discouraged. I have mostly lurked since then, mostly from having little to
contribute, a little because I don't think I want to let people here know what
I think.

While research does show that people communicate with sharper elbows online
than in person, how much effort does it take to write as if the person is
actually in front of you?

John

Message: 2 Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 11:00:33 +0300 From: Raines Cohen To:
Cohousing-L Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Takoma Village Has a New Face Book Page!
2:21 PM, T G wrote: > > I joined this forum a while back hoping to learn more
about cohousing. What > I seem to be finding out instead is that there are a
lot of very > opinionated people that like to chime in and aggressively
disagree and > insult other people's opinions. > > After much time reading past
threads, I think I might end up staying away > from cohousing. People on here
seem to love to complain about other > people's ideas Tricia - Thanks for your
honest feedback on this list, and your reflection on what you feel it means for
your quest for a home in a cohousing neighborhood. Some things you might want
to keep in mind: - We are not a cohousing community. This list brings together
the most passionate, opinionated advocates (and aren't they wonderful?) living
in community, building community, and, like you, seeking community. In an
actual community, there will be just a few of us ornery folks, balanced by a
wide range of other personalities. When one gets to be too much for you,
there's someone else to talk to or sit with at common dinner. Sure, most people
in cohousing are there for a reason, and will not hesitate to share about their
beliefs about the way things ought to be. But in real life we don't actually
force people to stay in conversations. That would be a cult, quite the opposite
of our choice-creating communities. - We are not conversing in person. Decades
of studies and learned experience has found that electronic forums like this
one lead people to express themselves differently, often more stridently than
they would in person. We don't have the nuance of non-verbal communication or
even tone of voice, or the feedback we get from seeing the faces of the people
we are talking to. The nature of e-mail lists leads us to feel like we are
putting a message in a bottle, so it is incumbent upon us to bundle up our
strongest statements and send them out in the world. - We live in places that
value transparency and openness. Sometimes that means sharing something in a
way that comes across as stronger than you'd encounter in non-community life.
More than "agreeing to disagree," we have set up cultures where it is all of
our responsibility to bring forward the most relevant information, our own
perspectives, and our strongest critiques, in the service of helping the group
most rapidly devise the best possible proposal that can move forward. Despite
the oft-repeated stereotype, we are not "a bunch of like-minded people" -- and
that's a good thing! Our diversity is our strength (and we'll readily complain
about all dimensions where we lack it, and maybe even take steps to do
something about that, individually and collectively). That said, your
self-analysis is important, and cohousing certainly isn't for everyone. it
takes a willingness to listen and engage, the ability to hear these things as
gifts rather than attacks. And the ability, perhaps learned through lived
experience that teaches us that it is safe, to open up and share and take the
big scary step of asking for help when needed. Cohousing isn't always that, but
at times it can be sublimely connected. There's a reason that cohousing has
been called "The most expensive personal growth workshop you'll ever
encounter." It takes a tolerance for meetings. Patience. A willingness to
listen. The ability to say "Yes, and..." rather than "No." A delight in the
opportunity to learn the quirks and strengths and challenges of an evolving set
of people, that you get to call neighbors. And maybe, sometimes, something
more. Do listen to your heart, but please don't let the online discourse of a
handful of the over 10,000 people living in US cohousing neighborhoods keep you
from taking meaningful exploratory steps. Have you gotten to visit any
cohousing neighborhoods on National Cohousing Open House Day or other tours?
Joined any common meals or observed any meetings? Come to any of the national
or regional conferences? Reached out to places where you might be able rent or
visit or house-sit? There's no substitute for the in-person experience of
meeting the people and living in community to know whether cohousing is right
for you. Raines Cohen, Cohousing Coach and Global Ecovillage Network (GEN)
Ambassador At a GEN training in Estonia, making plans for how to help
communities in the SF Bay Area and at the East Coast Regional Conference
rediscover their relationship to a bigger-picture movement with social,
cultural, environmental and economic aspects, linked through whole-systems
design. And appreciating that while traveling, my neighbors at home were able
to take care of something important for me yesterday, so our homes and vehicles
are well-tended, secure, and getting put to good use in our absence. All the
while learning that a younger neighbor (not one of the stereotypically
disconnected older ones) doesn't necessarily see emails every week, so we need
to adapt our communications styles and methods.
http://www.CohousingCoaches.com/ ------------------------------ Subject: Digest
http://l.cohousing.org/info ------------------------------ End of Cohousing-L