Oakleigh Meadows Cohousing Resistance
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2018 18:58:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Aug 1, 2018, at 12:52 PM, Kathryn McCamant <kmccamant [at]
cohousing-solutions.com> wrote:

"This type of useless neighborhood opposition, and the American resistance to
any reasonable density (afterall, we are just talking 2-story townhomes with
plenty of room for gardens) within established cities is only adds to keeping
housing prices high and cities car dependent.

I hope the larger cohousing community will support those communities that run
into unreasonable neighbors..... unfortunately, this kind of unreasonable fear
has killed or lessened many a good project."

Sharon Villines suggested:
"Perhaps other communities who faced these problems can share their stories so
potential communities can understand that (1) it is isn't personal, and (2) how
to change it or just live through it."

Resistance comes in many forms, but perserverance is critical to achieving the
dream. I think that was also the message of Martin Luther King.

NIMBY's very typically resist with the statement, "I/we can understand the need
for (projects) like this but not at this place, not at this time, (i.e. Not in
My Backyard)."

We fought a lot of resistance in establishing Liberty Village Cohousing as
Maryland's first cohousing community in 1998.  Now we have 18 homes completed
and plan to build more in the year ahead.

One early obstacle was the County's demand for a public road cul-de-sac at our
entry in lieu of our proposed 24' wide driveway entry off the State Highway.

It turned out the real reason was the County Schools wanted a school bus
turnaround at that point and demanded a full width cul-de-sac (120' ROW)
dedicated and improved public right of way. Aside from cost, the improvement
also meant removing 6 - 75 year old maples along the existing entry drive.

A further requirement was that County subdvision regulations required alternate
vehicular ingress/egress for development of over some number, possibly 25
homesites, while we had planned  to develop 38 new homes with a single entry
driveway.

We finally conceded to dedicate and build the cul-de-sac and negotiated for a
concession from the County to waive dedicating and building a secondary private
street for alternate ingress/egress, with a condition that County would accept
dedication of an emergency ingress/egress via a driveway through the original
farm road driveway of the 1753 Manor House which was to be subdivided from the
property as a private sale. We also negotiated the acceptance of that emergency
ingress/egress easement through the property to be sold as a concession by the
purchasers, but recorded it as a private easement, denying any claim by the
County for ultimate use as a public ROW.  I look at it as a 3 way win-win-win
whereby nobody got their perfect resolution, but everyone came away better off
than if everybody had refused to budge. Fortunately we were only negotiating
with bureaucracies and not emotional reactionaries. I was perfectly comfortable
at not holding out for concensus on our final plan and glad to walk away with a
3-2 majority WIN!

As to the scenario as I understand it for Oakleigh or pothers facing a similar
issue, the trade off may be whether to reduce the number of homes and members
and therefore income from lot sales, vs. whether to contribute to widening an
existing roadway? First question might be whether the existing right of way for
the present road would even allow pavement widening; would that also entail
collateral drainage upgrades? If necessary, would any neighbors along the
existing right-of-way willingly dedicate enough frontage to allow wdening or
other necessities? Second Q: would the widening cost be paid by the
jurisdiction, or shared by all the beneficiaries (including every property
owner along the street) or be passed through in total to Oakleigh?; Third
Question, Would the jurisdiction form an improvement district to bond the costs
of road upgrades and assess it over 20 years to all property owners, including
the existing as well as future homes in Oakleigh to spread the costs over as
wide a list of beneficiaries as possible?

Just some thoughts, although I have just recived a message that Oakleigh is
fully approved. Certainly hope so! Best wishes for perseverance.

Tom Lofft

Liberty Village, MD