Re: Diversity
From: carol collier (doctor5622noyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 08:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
 i can't speak for every person of color or every black person, but there
definitely are lots of black folks that fit the demographic of those in
co-housing, except for color, that are alienated and don't have a church family
or extended family that they can depend on especially as they age. Similar to
the rest of the U.S. population, the number of blacks going to church has
declined significantly.Two things stick out in my mind as deterrents to getting
people of color to join co-housing: one- fear of being seen as the other. We
all have biases, and you don't live in the U.S. without have stereotypical
views of certainminority groups. For example, I belong to the group seen as
predators, criminals, and welfare queens. We are seen as being dirty and
destroying the purity of neighborhoods and schools. We are viewed as dumber
than other ethnic groups, so you wouldn't want your child sitting in a
classroom full of us whether we are rich or poor. i could go on. I was part of
a group where someone questioned my ability to buy a home in the community;
even though, at the time, I was an Ivy League educated physician, owned three
other homes, and had a high net worth. All the person saw was a black, single
parent. The second things is being the only. It is hard being the only black
person. I get fatigue from people assuming that I am the spokesperson for
anything black. Just my two cents.
    On Friday, August 3, 2018, 8:00:17 AM MDT, Liz Gewirtz <liz.gewirtz [at]