Re: Diversity
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 08:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
On 8/3/2018 11:07 AM, carol collier via Cohousing-L wrote:
i can't speak for every person of color or every black person, but there definitely are lots of black folks that fit the demographic of those in co-housing, except for color, that are alienated and don't have a church family or extended family that they can depend on especially as they age.

That's obviously true, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. And I don't speak for all white liberals, either. But there are definitely plenty of us who would rather live in a more diverse neighborhood than we are likely to find in cohousing. (In fact, I live in a fairly diverse neighborhood now and regret that when I move into our new community next year, I'll be going the other direction.)

The second things is being the only. It is hard being the only black person. I get
fatigue from people assuming that I am the spokesperson for anything black.
Just my two cents.

So that brings up an idea. There is strength in numbers. If three black families (or three of any other group that shared this feeling of not wanting to be "the only") found each other and joined a cohousing community *together*, wouldn't that help mitigate that feeling? Not my place to suggest how that might come about. I'm just tossing the idea out there.

Dick Margulis
http://www.rockycorner.org, where we'd have room if those three families wanted to live in Connecticut