Re: Diversity Problem
From: Alan O'Hashi (adoecosyahoo.com)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 05:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
What does this tell us? Cohousing is a healing balm for people who grew up
alienated in suburbia. It provides community for people who don't already have
it. The demographics are what they are.

__________________

Dick - Don’t forget 72% chance of being a woman.

Your comment is a great summary about the reason for lack of diversity in the
average coho community and why attracting diversity isn’t worth the brain
damage.

I, for one, consider myself a bare-bones cohouser by participating in the
minimum required activities. My “diverse” life is off campus. All I expect from
my community is for the members to be good neighbors and not push their
lifestyles and attitudes on me beyond the minimal requirements.

Here’s the challenge and the paradox of the American Dream - being an
individual but asked to identify with a group.

When white, liberal, over-educated suburbanites downsize from 5000sqft mansions
and plunk their 2000sqft condo into a community how can communities get them to
understanding they now have to ask 30 households whether or not they can cut
down a tree. They are no longer in control.

thx, Alan O

Alan O'Hashi - Cyber Office
Views from Behind the Lens
www.alanohashi.com