Re: Diversity Problem
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 07:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
I don’t want to minimize the significance of “race”, or the degree to which
race and ethnicity have had both constructive and destructive impacts on
American society.  But I’d like to offer this counterpoint:

For those of you who think diversity means skin color, I’d like to suggest that
the real diversity challenges in cohousing are not ones of race and ethnicity;
they are ones of divergent value systems.  For a few simple examples:
     (a) Some households expect to invest their personal time and money to
“improve" their community.  Other households think a community is “improved”
when it minimizes its demands for the limited time and money resources of its
members.
     (b) Some families think children develop best when they are allowed to run
free, express themselves fully, and self-develop creativity and initiative.
Other families think children need some supervision, discipline and guidance —
and, should behave with restraint when in the presence of (non-family) adults.
     (c) Some people favor very clear rules governing most situations, and
reliable adherence to those rules.  Others feel that most of life is a special
case, and instead of rigid rules, a community should operate with common sense,
flexibility and empathy.

I think these divergences in world view are far more significant to diversity,
and possible conflict, than skin color or gender preference.  And thus far,
I’ve been unable to observe much consistent correlation between these basic
alternative value systems, and race / ethnicity / income variations.  So the
diversity challenge in front of all our communities, in my opinion, is not What
we do to ensure skin color variations, but rather, How do we react when
confronted with values diversity?

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing