Re: Eugene Cohousing (Lynn Dixon) (T G)
From: Mike Mariano (Mikeschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 16:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 11:34:47 -0700
From: T G <triciamill9 [at] gmail.com>
To: cohousing-l [at] cohousing.org
Subject: Re: [C-L]_ Eugene Cohousing (Lynn Dixon)

      I guess the bottom line is that this sounds like a very horrible toxic
environment for all that seems to offer no amicable solution. Not a place I
would want to live out my retirement. I hope to find a community that is living
in peace with its surroundings. Very bad energy surrounding this whole
situation. Good to know before buying in.
------------------------------

As an architect having practiced for the past 25-years, I have never had a new
construction project - of any type or scale - that didn't have some degree of
opposition, along with at least one proponent. This has included community
centers, multifamily housing, single-family homes, a shed, museum, office
building, garden, playground, cohousing, etc.

You name it - whatever it is - and it will draw opposition.

To ultimately achieve a community that - in your words - is "...living in peace
with its surroundings..." the community will need to take on the associated,
myriad of challenges that come with change.

We certainly had opposition to our own home, Capitol Hill Urban Cohousing, but
we're definitely seen as an asset to the neighborhood now. In addition to all
the cohousing in North America, I understand that even the 24 cohousing
communities that we spent time with (in the great, social democracy of Denmark)
faced some degree of opposition as well.

Mike

Looking forward to a community meal this evening, prepared by a Korean-American
resident and lead cook who is appreciated for sharing her culinary heritage
with the community.

michael mariano aia | schemata workshop, inc.
principal & architect
1720 12th avenue
seattle wa 98122
d 206 743 9431   c 206.419.9122