Re: Diversity Problem
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 10:59:49 -0700 (PDT)
It is a municipally administered home ownership program.  Not being a “housing
expert”, some of the details are unknown to me, but here’s the basic idea:
      (1) The generic term for this kind of program is “inclusionary zoning”.
Inclusionary zoning has been in force in Cambridge for nearly two decades now.
It means ...
      (2) In select zoning districts, developers of big(ger) multi-family
housing (including cohousing, which is seen by the State as a simple condo
association), must establish not less than 10% of the units as “affordable” or
“below market” — for which they get a density bonus (more total units on the
land).  The idea is that the sales of the “extra” units helps pay for the cost
of the affordable units provided to the City at well below market rates.  Note
that the costs and risks of development are entirely borne by the private
developer; no public money goes into designing or building the project.
      (3) In the case of Cornerstone, the below-market units “donated” to the
City are re-sold to qualified households for a price well below that of the
market rate units in the same development.  “Qualified” households means that
candidate families are matched by size, income and other factors to suitable
units, which these families can buy from the City for a very low price; the
qualified household must secure its financing from a private lender.  Once
purchased, the household can live in the units as long as it like.  But …
      (4) When it sells, the City has the right (always exercised) to buy back
the unit at a price not much higher than what it sold it for.  The allowable
appreciation formula can get complex, but appreciation allowed normally weighs
in at around 1% a year.  So, if one buys a limited equity unit from the City
for $150K, then ten years later one sells it back to the City for $165K.

In a residential real estate market where average home appreciation is around
6-7% annually, there is not much “profit” to make from a limited equity unit —
and that’s exactly the point of the program.  Limited equity home ownership is
not designed to be a windfall profit for the lucky sweepstakes winner.  It is
designed to be bridge from rental (no equity) through a City program (modest
equity) to market rate ownership and a chance for substantial appreciation (in
an economy where appreciating home ownership is the primary savings vehicle for
many or most households).

So what makes it work financially?  First, the developers (that’s us cohousers)
have to find enough “extra” money to build four units they sell to the City at
a “loss”.  Second, the City has to run the program:  Keep a list of eligible
households, keep track of its repurchase rights, gather data and run the
re-sale calcs, renovate the units between occupancies, and so on.  One of the
downsides is that Cornerstone has no role in selecting a household, and it's
always possible that the household selected by the City will have zero interest
in community participation.  In the last several years, Cornerstone has worked
hard to explain cohousing to the City, and my opinion is that the possibility
of non-participation has been substantially diminished as a result.

There are many advantages to syncing up with a pre-established public program
of some kind.  When I suggested a mix of ownership and rental units in
cohousing, I ducked the question of how the HOA would manage rental housing for
“affordability”.  Do you really want to ask potential tenants for their income
history, or work out a quota system for different “races”?  Is it even possible
to do such a thing without running afoul of fair housing laws?  Coho/US is
accumulating a body of experience and information on this topic, and you might
want to contact them directly.

Thanks,
RPD