Reserve investments
From: David Mandel (dlmandelgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 00:38:00 -0700 (PDT)
We have our reserves mostly in tax-free municipal bond mutual funds, at the
far less risky end of non-governmental bonds. Early on we had a couple of
actual municipal bonds and got better return, but that is more risky. Tax
free is helpful because between federal and state, we pay around 40 percent
on taxable interest/dividend income. We keep around $40,000 (I favored
less) in a money market account, now paying around 1.9%, almost as good as
CDs, to keep us from having to withdraw from the mutual funds during a
downswing if we need a lot suddenly. We also withdraw more from the bond
funds in advance of a known large expense, to protect principal. We did
that in anticipation of replacing our roofs two years ago, for instance.
David, Southside Park, Sacramento.