Re: CPA
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 03:27:08 -0700 (PDT)
The two main things one should expect from an HOA management company are
financial supervision and property upkeep.

Financial supervision of an investment portfolio is an arcane art, and few
civilians can make much sense out of what their “wealth manager” is up to.  But
on the whole, HOA financial supervision is about cash flows and savings
instruments, and accounting for cash should be entirely scrutable.  A basic
protection against strangers ripping us off is simply to have the bank
statements published to a community finance team as well as to the management
company, and have the manager provide conventional accounting reports — P&Ls,
reconciliations, etc — on a monthly or maybe quarterly basis.
      The biggest problem with turning the books over to a management company
is that it will try to fit your budgeting into its own cookie-cutter chart of
accounts.  You may want to track the monthly dues, or the guest room expenses,
in a certain way, and that way doesn’t fit with how the management company
normally keeps book for its clients.  Many companies would consider redesigning
the chart of accounts just for you as outside their scope of service.

For property upkeep, a good management company with dozens (or hundreds?) of
HOA clients will be maintaining relations with a stable of vendors: several
roofing subcontractors, several plumbing subcontractors, etc.  This means an
increased likelihood that a qualified mechanic will show up on short notice —
and that the manager is in a position to bargain for favorable competitive
rates.  Most cohousing communities aren’t large enough, nor so heavily burdened
with problems (we hope), that they can maintain relationships like this.
      On the other hand … most management companies will charge a mark-up for
coordinating construction services, maybe 10% of the subcontractors’ invoice or
hourly for a project manager.  So the roofer’s $3,000 bill gets charged to the
HOA as $3,300.  Basically, there are indeed competent, honest management
companies out there … but they cost more.  If you take bids from three
companies and pick the low bidder, the chances you’ll get a good one aren’t so
great.

At Cornerstone, we’ve had a DIY approach to bookkeeping and subcontractor
relations for nearly a decade.  We know we’ve saved tens of thousands of
dollars, and we know it consumes volunteer time.  We’ve had some glitches that
should be expected as customary when well-intentioned amateurs are running
things, but nothing major.  If your community volunteer mix happens to include
people with financial or design/construction backgrounds, glitching will be
substantially reduced.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA

mobile: 617.460.4549
email:   rpdowds [at] comcast.net <mailto:rpdowds [at] comcast.net>