Re: Membership
From: Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 04:07:02 -0700 (PDT)
Without suggesting any amounts, I’ll make some general points re front-end cash:

1)  In most situations, money put in during the development and construction
stages comes off the price of the dwelling unit.
2)  If for some reason the project fails, sunk costs are lost, and if any money
is left over, it can be returned in proportion to the amount put in.
3)  If investor/members drop out along the way, can they take their money when
they go?  This is complicated, and benefits from some clear understandings
developed in advance.  And …
4)  What if a participating member has limited cash, and can’t keep up with
on-going demands for more venture capital?  Again, this is complicated — and
may suggest that this member doesn’t actually have the financial resources to
buy a house without community help.

It’s hard to understand how front-end cash contributions can be less than five
figures per household.  But just as important as the amount are all the shared
understandings and agreements about how to handle the inevitable contingencies.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Cohousing
Cambridge, MA