Subject: Re: Does your community clean all the common areas
From: Thomas Lofft (tloffthotmail.com)
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 09:58:36 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to Sharon Villines for another great contribution.
The essence of a strong community is shared resources and shared efforts. Share
what you have the most of, including your talents.

Tom Lofft
Liberty Village, MD
http://www.LibertyVillage.com

[http://www.libertyvillage.com/uploads/7/0/2/1/70210007/lv-2016-spring-workday-112.jpg]<http://www.libertyvillage.com/>

Intentional Community in Libertytown, Maryland<http://www.libertyvillage.com/>
www.libertyvillage.com
Liberty Village is a group of friendly neighbors living in an ecological
cohousing community near Frederick, Maryland

On Oct 5, 2018, at 8:45 AM, Eris Weaver <eris [at] erisweaver.info>

> I should probably mention that MANY of us pay someone else to clean our
> individual houses. If I don't even clean my own toilet, why would I sign up
> to clean the common toilet?

On Oct 6, 2018, Sharon Villines contributed:

I feel the same way but we do have people who like to clean and like to clean
together.

HUMAN CAPITAL is what will determine the nature of your community. What you can
do, what opportunities you can take, depends on your membership ? their skills
and interests. A organizing expert once said, you don?t organize because it is
a moral or ethical thing to do ? god will not get you for this. You organize so
you can get to work on time. So you have time to make the bird houses you love.

When we did our first round on what jobs people would like to do, I was
surprised at how many people believed they had no skills that would be helpful
to the community!!!! These were professional, well educated, competent people ?
who had no skills?

As the round proceeded, one woman, a lawyer for the ACLU, was delighted to
finally find something she thought she could contribute ? she loved cleaning
bathrooms. A clean toilet was her pride. Who could guess that? Then an army
psychiatrist who worked odd hours stepped in to say she also like to clean
bathrooms and it was a perfect job for her because she could do it any time of
day. Even at midnight after work. The rest of us breathed a sigh of relief. We
have benefited from that for years and years. You can?t hire an in-house
bathroom cleaner.

I have been intrigued for years by the story from one community that had
community sings after dinner on many nights. Why? Because they had a member who
could and would go over and start playing the piano when she finished her meal.
Others joined in to sing. That?s the kind of thing you can only have if there
is someone in residence who loves to do it.

We have another member who organized maintenance and workdays for years. She?s
a list maker. Detail is her natural focus. She kept a list and made a chart for
workdays with the name of the task, who to ask for directions and information,
location of any equipment or supplies, and a column to sign up for the task.
Someone sat with the list to conduct traffic and help people choose tasks. This
would drive me crazy. Totally bonkers. She did it for a few years and then
passed the established process over to other people who have maintained. It has
been a godsend. And no one else had been able to do it, even if they had
thought of it.

DYI doesn't just mean cleaning. We recently acquired two people who are happy
to organize social events from their computers. It's something they can do at
work or at home taking care of the baby. We have many more meals because we
acquired some people who love to cook. Our kitchen process is more organized
because a woman who loves to cook is also in public health and looks at
kitchens from a more institutional experience.

It all depends on your members and what they want to DYI, or as one of our
members says, Yankee-Do.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org<http://www.takomavillage.org/>

[http://www.takomavillage.org/HOA/assn39042/images/IMG_4241.jpg?rand=0.33311781607820471zA]<http://www.takomavillage.org/>

Takoma Village Cohousing - Welcome<http://www.takomavillage.org/>
www.takomavillage.org
Takoma Village Cohousing is an urban community that fosters mutual support and
cooperation while respecting privacy. We welcome diversity, encourage
ecologically responsible living, and value active participation in the larger
world.