Re: Rental of rooms or Air BnBs?
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 05:48:10 -0800 (PST)
On 1/26/2019 5:08 PM, Linda Smith wrote:
We're currently looking
into the possibility of receiving income from renting out the large space
in our common house for events and/or guest rooms like an Air BnB type
arrangement.

Before you go too far down that path, talk with the attorney who is going to help you get through your local zoning process. You may find that there's no problem with your plan. You may discover an insurmountable obstacle, such as an outright prohibition on including a guest room (we hit that wall). Or anything in between.

For example, if your local health department or building official insists that such uses mean your common house is classified as a commercial building, then you may find that your state fire code requires a sprinkler system in order for the building to include overnight accommodations; and this sprinkler system may, in turn, prove too costly for your group to justify it based on projected guest room revenue.

Dick Margulis
Rocky Corner
Bethany CT
http://www.rockycorner.org