Re: Can solar farms subsidize affordable cohousing?
From: Dick Margulis (dickdmargulis.com)
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 05:36:16 -0800 (PST)

So, my question for you is: are you aware of any precedent for this? I did
search the archives and didn't find much, but I might be using the wrong
search terms. And do you have any advice with regard to how to proceed?

I don't know that this is exactly a precedent, but it's related. Connecticut is not New York, so our incentives are different, but we have connected with an engineer who is designing a microgrid for Rocky Corner. If he is successful in getting a solar company to agree to do the project and in getting the Connecticut Green Bank to provide financing (neither a certainty), we'll derive some benefits: 1. We'll have the moral benefit of being a net zero (or nearly so) community. 2. We'll have battery backup power when the rest of the town is blacked out after a snowstorm (happens at least two or three times a year, sometimes for days at a time). 3. We'll get a small discount on our electricity. 4. After 25 years, we'll own the system and get more substantial savings.

Fingers crossed that it works out. Otherwise, it will be up to individual owners to buy or lease solar systems for their roofs, and not everyone will be in a financial position to do that.

Dick Margulis
http://www.rockycorner.org/