Re: How does your community handle outdoor lighting?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 08:47:25 -0700 (PDT)
> On Jun 7, 2019, at 10:47 AM, KAREN A CARLSON via Cohousing-L <cohousing-l
> [at] cohousing.org> wrote:
>
> Our community went thru a long process to decide how much lighting was needed
> to be on all the time (vs motion activated) in our large underground garage.
> A good compromise was reached as everyone felt they had input. If possible in
> your setting see if various placement of motion activated lights will be
> acceptable to all.

Motion activated lighting here as caused frustration because our units are
contiguous apartments. The light on my balcony will switch on in the middle of
the night when the wind blows. Most have turned them off.

I have a long post in the archives about the need for lighting with an
illustrative story, but the short version is that people have widely varying
ability to see in the dark. One person’s dim light is another person’s dark
light. I rarely have more than one light on in my unit but when certain people
visit they end up turning all of them on. It’s not just habit of turning on the
lights — they can’t see. It must be very frightening outside in the super dark
rural areas.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines