Re: Do any communities defer dues?
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 09:30:58 -0700 (PDT)
I would check your local jurisdiction and mortgage lender laws. After the
recession and the millions of foreclosures that came with it, they changed a
lot of the regulations to limit the amount you could collect on pass due dues
at closing.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions

On 8/4/19, 9:12 AM, "Cohousing-L on behalf of Sharon Villines via Cohousing-L"
<cohousing-l-bounces+kmccamant=cohousing-solutions.com [at] cohousing.org on

[at] cohousing.org> wrote:

    > If you do decide to allow people to generally defer, there should be some
means to encourage them to pay up front, like, compounded interest, and
personal guarantees, etc.

    I would think this would only be done when there is a question of hardship
and a date for which the unit will be sold or put up for sale.

    And done formally with a lien against the property, costs to be paid from
the sale/estate.

    In the long run, this might be the least expensive way to deal with the
rare case of catastrophic or terminal inability to pay.

    Sharon
    ----
    Sharon Villines
    Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC