Loan guarantees
From: Dean smith (deansmith4me.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 08:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
Speaking from the viewpoint of a forming community, I’d like to see a
government program of construction loan guarantees for cohousing.  There would
have to be a “certifying” agency that would set qualifying requirements —
either within the government or an outside organization.  This could bring
uniformity the myriad of confusing bank positions to making loans to nascent
LLC’s and groups of people wanting to establish cohousing.  I mentioned this
idea at a workshop (on food) at the Portland conference and received
enthusiastic support, including from some individuals in Cohousing in Wash.,
D.C. who work at HUD.  They said they knew how to do it. This could be a
worthwhile working group within the national cohousing organization.  I don’t
see this happening under the current administration, but we could be getting
ready for a later administration.

Dean Smith
Sunnyside Village Cohousing
Marysville, WA