Records Checks for Cohousing Group Members
From: frances woolison (franceswoolisonhotmail.com)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 09:45:26 -0700 (PDT)
I am a member of a forming Canadian cohousing group. We are currently
establishing the Bylaws and Policies for our Corporation. One group member is
adamant that those joining the community as members now, and others purchasing
units in the community in the future, be required to undergo a Criminal Records
check and a Vulnerable Persons Abuse Registry check before being accepted into
the community or being allowed to purchase a home. Katie McCamant is our
consultant, and she says that she has never heard of a cohousing group having
those requirements. We would be interested in knowing if any other communities
have mandated such criteria. If other groups do not have such requirements, how
are children and vulnerable persons in the community protected from abuse, and
what would the liability of the group be in case of such abuse taking place?
Thank you for any input you can offer.

Frances Woolison
Prairie Rivers Cohousing
Winnipeg, Manitoba