Grace Kim on TED Radio Hour NPR
From: Grace Kim (graceschemataworkshop.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 23:26:39 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Ann- Thanks for the shout out!

For those of you interested, here's the link to the TED Radio Hour interview
that first aired on April 24...sounds like it was replayed this weekend.
https://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/842567397/meditations-on-loneliness
And if you don't want to listen to the full hour, you can navigate down to my
segment to listen for 11 minutes. They did the first interview with me
pre-covid and followed up again in March a few weeks into the stay at home
orders.

And since you asked for an update Ann:
Life in the other Capitol Hill (Seattle) has certainly been intense this past
month - we've not only be trying to practice physical distancing in a very
urban cohousing community (9 households occupying 4500sf of land in a 5-story
building in the densest neighborhood west of the Mississippi River) but we are
also trying to stay socially connected. Like most, we have stopped our
community meals in early March. We have figured out a regime of cleaning all of
the public areas (stairs, elevator, balconies, front/back doors) twice a day
and how to minimize trips to the grocery store by picking up odd/ends for
neighbors each time someone goes out. We have utilized our balconies/courtyard
for physically distanced birthday celebrations, bingo, exercise, dance parties,
and concerts. We are enjoying the sun from our rooftop farm (where each night
you can find at least a couple of households eating dinner or watching the
sunset). We are also harvesting lots of produce from the farm (lettuce/greens,
peas, radishes and chives were great last month as were the strawberries (bowls
and bowls of them). We have added raspberries, more lettuce, and look forward
to tomatoes, basil, peppers and squash.  We are blessed with our abundance (all
from 2000sf of rootop space).

We are also living through the occupied protests that evolved from the Black
Lives Matter protests after George Floyds murder.  CHUC (the acronym we have
given ourselves as Capitol Hill Urban Cohousing) is literally 1 block from the
edge of the CHOP (as it became known in the national news).

It was very frenetic in the week leading up to June 8 when the police vacated
the police precinct 2 blocks away. That week was marked by flash bangs and tear
gas till wee hours of the morning. There was a heightened sense of tension in
the air. For the two or three weeks that followed the creation of the CHAZ then
CHOP, we experienced a quiet that was much needed. There were still protestors
but they were conducting teach-ins and offering support and food to one
another. Things were pretty peaceful. There were anarchists afoot (trying to
incite trouble) and the area started attracting drug dealers and others who
used the crowds of the protests to hide and do their thing.
It was the weekend of gun shootings and deaths that caused the neighborhood to
ask for the protesters to disperse. They were no longer being kind/respectful
of all human lives, and the actual protestors of BLM moved on to make their
presence known throughout the City. And the others were offered social
services. Those who needed them accepted. Those who were here for other reasons
moved on.
Sad as I am to say that it is over, I am also relieved to have my streets and
park back. Those public spaces had become privatized by the protestors - many
of whom could no longer articulate a common purpose.

So thanks for asking Ann. I hope you are well in DC.

And I hope that all the other cohousers on this list are staying safe, wearing
their masks, and doing their part to further the difficult conversations about
racial inequities in our country.  We, who live in cohousing, are very
privileged to have this choice in how we live. This is a very auspicious time
for us to work collectively to create a just society in which all people can be
afforded the same choices and opportunities.

It heartens me to see you all taking care of each other and your communities.

grace h. kim aia | schemata workshop, inc.
principal
pronouns: she/her

1720 12th avenue
seattle wa 98122
p 206.285.1589   c 206.795.2470
schemataworkshop.com

Watch my TED talk at TED.com

Please note: Schemata Workshop employees are currently working remotely given
the current public health situation.